Track-work Riding Skills Course
The Racing SA Track Work Rider Skill Set Program delivered in partnership with our RTO Skillinvest with the support of the Government of South Australia.
The course consists of a 14-week program that includes 2 weeks work experience in a Racehorse Trainers stable.
Riders will gain an insight on how to report on horse performance and health, animal welfare and compliance requirements; learn a new style and techniques; and develop fitness requirements for riding track work.
Students will be riding selected Retired Racehorses, to prepare riders to be job ready by giving them practice and confidence to ride horses at a range of paces and tempos with our Racing SA stable of thoroughbreds.
The program is supported for eligible students, however gap fees of $500 per student, depending on eligibility will apply. Concession card holders can also receive reduced costs.
Students who graduate can obtain employment to complete the “Certificate III Track Work Rider” as paid on-the-job Traineeship with a Racehorse Trainer.
The role of the track work rider is a prestigious position in a racing stable with many job opportunities for the accomplished riders.
So, if you are a capable rider looking for a challenge, take your passion to a new level and experience the thrill and satisfaction of being involved in horse racing!
Successful applicants will undertake intensive training from the RGRSS00077 Thoroughbred Exercise Rider Skill Set which trains practical riding components and racing theory including:
- BSBWHS201 - Contribute to health and safety of self and others
- RGRPSH201 - Handle racehorses in stables and at trackwork
- RGRPSH205 - Perform basic riding skills in the racing industry
- RGRPSH306 - Develop basic trackwork riding skills
- RGRPSH307 - Exercise horses in pacework
Students are required to attend, 3 days per week 9.30am-3.30pm at “Dibden Equestrain Park” located in Oakbank, Adelaide Hills.
The course will consist of theory /bookwork and practical handling, care, grooming, stable maintenance duties, as well as saddling, riding and transporting of Thoroughbreds.
- Learn key skills required for a career in the Thoroughbred Industry.
- Experience riding at multiple tracks throughout SA
- Transition from sport horse to racehorse track work riding.
- Specialist Guest Riding Coaches
- Work Experience with a professional Racehorse Trainers Stables
- National recognised accredited Training from Skilllinvest, candidates receiving statements of Attainment for completed Units of Competency
How To Apply
The 2023 course is now closed. To apply for the 2024 course, please fill in the Application Form here. For more information for costs, interview process and regulatory requirements, please contact Clare Lindop (firstname.lastname@example.org).