Penola is one of the oldest racing clubs in the south east of South Australia. While race meetings in the mid 1800s were relatively informal affairs Penola is attributed with holding the first official meeting in the state. It was held over three days in February 1856. In those formative years, the streets around the town formed the track with landmarks of today such as the Royal Oak Hotel and the Presbyterian Manse being on two of the corners.
The move to the current location was made in May 1906 when the Club bought 96 acres for 411 pounds. In 1979, Kalangadoo Racing Club, which was formed in May 1898, joined with Penola.
Penola is also the home course of the Millicent Racing Club, which first conducted meetings in December 1874.
Penola racecourse has a warmth and a charm about it like few others. It is neat, organised and methodical yet it is cosy, comfortable and relaxed. It oozes heritage and tradition.
It is to the Penola Racing Club's great credit that it has been able to retain this charm and dignity despite the construction of many new buildings in recent years. In each case they have blended with the old with clever use of red brick and sympathetic architecture.
The course is compact yet uncrowded. The vast areas of lawn are permanently green and mown and edges are manicured. They beckon you to walk on them.
0412 995 789
Penola S.A 5277
PO Box 300
Rate this photo...